Dec 20, 2009

To Err is Human...Part Two

So...I am sitting in Mauston, Wisconsin after completing a 45 minute manual regeneration on my truck. I have 2 stops in Minnesota and time is of the essence. After contacting both locations I decided to flip my route around. Minneapolis was supposed to unload next according to my manifest, but Winona's freight was next in line on the trailer, and because it was literally on my way to Minneapolis, I headed there next.


I had received 3 sets of bad directions for the location in Winona, and ended up phoning in for turn by turn instructions after I got lost riding through town. Seems I took the very long way around, which did not help my timing. One pallet removed and I was back in action. I phoned Minneapolis and alerted them to my time frame. I would be arriving at about the time they closed. They agreed to wait for me up to one hour. So I pedaled forward.

I hit Minneapolis in record time, and arrived about 15 minutes prior to closing. I was already in luck because today was their annual Christmas Party. But the tide turned rather rapidly when I pulled into the lot and noticed this was going to be a dock unload.

After everyone assessed the situation, it was determined that the only way to offload this freight, was to hand unload. Never a good situation when they have equipment to use, but the freight is loaded sothat it is unattainable. In this case, the 12 ft bundles were placed in the nose, stacked directly on top of 26' metal. There was no way their boom was going to reach it without dragging metal on metal and damaging my St Louis freight.

So we cut the bundles open and proceeded to sandbag the freight off the trailer. My job was in the nose, because the men were too tall in fit in the cramped space. My body was going to pay for this later. After an hours worth of physical labor, a few mishaps, and several strained muscles, I was unloaded. Oh, it might also be noted..I was not unloaded by the receiving crew, they were gone for the day. I was unloaded by the office personnel, and they were not too happy with the situation as they were still dressed in party attire. But they had agreed to wait, so they did not feel they should refuse me at this point, even though I volunteered to stay overnight so the labor crew could handle this situation in the morning.

My final 2 stops were located in St Louis, Missouri and there was just too much distance to cover, so I could only hope to arrive before their 2pm closures the following day. I was anxious for my shower and in no great hurry at this point. In fact, I was so resigned to the fact I might have to wait until Friday to unload, that I took a few detours on my way out of town. Rt 494 was experiencing major delays due to accidents, so I tried to find a shortcut back to Rt52. I knew where it was, but because of the jug-handled ramps and multiple turns, I got confused and ended up heading straight for downtown St. Paul.... LOL, no I do not use GPS.

It only added about an hour, taking the side streets, to work my way back toward my intended southbound direction on Rt 52. By the time I reached the truck stop, I was more than ready to be finished for the day, and decided not to push myself getting to St Louis.

But I am not one to let opportunity slip through my hands, so I got up early the next morning, with the intention of getting my final 2 stops off and heading home....

...to be continued


5 comments:

John II said...

Terry, you'll be asking Santa Claus for these while on your days off:
-Since you unloaded your freight and got sore muscles, you'll need a spa treatment and massage
-A GPS locator for those times when you get bad directions or take a shortcut to hell
-And probably a new truck. I like Frankentruck, too but it seems from your stories he needs some serious surgurey or taken out back behind the shed and shot. (Just Kidding)

Terry said...

JohnII, I asked Santa for a sack of coal, I am sure not to be disappointed.

As for the GPS, I suppose I am tooo Old School for that, SInce I run the same routes over and over, I know where all my turns are, and as for the new routes, I got a shiny atlas!!

And..Frankentruck is in surgery right now!!! New Engine!!

Anonymous said...

Terry, you are one tuff Girl in my book, I am pretty sure I do recall reading that some truckers complain when a fork truck shakes their sleeper while they are being unloaded, yet you are in a stooped over position (I'm assuming that you are) and are hand unloading metal from your truck? wow!
I gotta say I am so glad to have had the chance to get to know you on YouTube & now on here because you are the positive inspiration that i think the Dr ordered for me. Keep on Truckin, You da Girl =]

Eric

Terry said...

Thanks a bunch Eric..Yeah it was cramped, I was standing on top of metal with only about 3' of clearance handling 100 lb pieces of metal..Not a comfortable situation to be in :-)

StrokerAce90 said...

ha ha,.can ya tell i had a hard time logging in and had to use the anonymous identity to post my comment here? (forgot my password) so just for the record, now that i am logged in, it really was me.

Eric