Nov 24, 2011

Stating the Obvious

One of my biggest annoyances is trying to get through a Weigh Station. There are several that I pass by that seem to have a rhythm of their own. For instance, traveling south in Virginia, the traffic ALWAYS slows to below 55mph while approaching the Winchester Scale House. Doesn't matter what time of day it is, or what vehicle in is front of me. It always slows to 55mph.... It is a 65 mph zone!!

Speaking of which, the speed zone while traveling through the scale is 40 mph. Yeah, that doesn't happen either. Usually runs around 25mph, and once again, it doesn't matter what time of day or how many trucks are in line. Somebody is going to get anxious and try to creep through unnoticed. I sincerely wished DOT would pull these idiots around to the back just simply for being a dumbass.

My greatest annoyance occurs in North Carolina. On I-77 and south of Charlotte on I-85. These scale house have a platform with a light tree located at the end. The light stays a continuous green unless they want to check you more closely. If it flashes to red, then and only then is one expected to actually stop on the platform. It seems about 25% percent of the drivers will stop on the green and wait....  I have no idea what they are waiting for.

In the past month, North Carolina has taken into consideration that perhaps the red and green lights do not specifically indicate whether a driver should stop or go, so they added a sign with beneficial information for those who might be confused.

5 comments:

Jeffro said...

That may be, but coming into IL from IA by the quad cities on I80 one must pull up when it is red. So, confusion reigns.

Oh, and the gal inside is a - well, it rhymes with witch, which also suits her well. She was eating my buttocks one day for not pulling up on the red, and I informed her that to the rest of the normal world, red meant stop, and that perhaps she should reconsider. That did not go over well.

Terry said...

I have been across several that show a constant RED. I pull on and wait for my green. This scale is notorious for drivers sitting what seems like an eternity waiting for a different green.. I laughed when I saw the sign. I think someone in there must have a sense of humor. At least I took it that way!!

Anonymous said...

Try the scales here in CA.; it's a madhouse. Got to crawl at 3mph loaded or 5mph empty. Sometimes the CHP will send a car or SUV with the portable scales whenever the scales are closed after certain trucks.

doomytunes said...

I know that some drivers believe that one must go through the prepass at 55 for a guaranteed green. I know that's not the case but....

Terry said...

But Steve.... Even a car will slow to 55mph or less just before the Winchester Coops. Explain that one ;)