Oct 25, 2011

Small Surprises

I keep promising myself that I will sit down and blog. I have had several good stories to tell, or perhaps just something a little interesting that I thought you might enjoy. Alas, it has not happened. The problem is, if I don't blog immediately, well, it probably wont get published...

I have been having a blast learning my new trade. I love the challenges of figuring out how to solve the puzzle. And yes, it can be a bit challenging at times. Take 9 random vehicles and squeeze them into limited space allowing for proper length and height clearances. I am getting more comfortable with it!!

One such load I picked up was in Bordentown, New Jersey. Another driver had been instructed to babysit me on this load, which I found to be irritating. He was a nice enough fellow, but I have never been very social when it comes to driving my truck. I have my own habits which do not include a lot of stopping. So trucking with someone else tends to get under my skin. Loading at the auction, I was a little overwhelmed with the size of the place, and I easily walked miles trying to find all of my cars. Two of which were no where near the designated spot they should have been in. I hear, this is fairly normal. I also had dead batteries and flat tires, also another common factor when loading at auctions. I hit the jackpot when another random car-hauler parked next to me, and after a few pleasantries, he proceeded to show me the lay out of the facility and helped me pull all of my cars. Easily this saved me hours of my time. I would have been so lost. Random stranger... How cool is that.

After loading, the babysitter and I proceeded to head down to a Car Max location in Virginia Beach. And while I don't particularly care to travel with companions, he also turned out to be a very informative type of guy.Good number to have in my phone as he is familiar with a lot of the New York dealerships I am certain to hit while delivering BMWs.

We arrive, unload, and I have NO TIME left. My logbook is done for the day. Something I have never been too concerned about in the past. But with GPS tracking and no sleeper on the truck, I have to be at the motel!! The first motel we located had rooms and parking... until we showed up and got parked. Then she was suddenly booked !! I was told she pulled a fast one on us because she didn't want to give out the rooms at our discounted rate. She did however send us to another location, but that one definitely did NOT have truck parking. Starting to scramble a little bit. We managed to locate a less than desirable Super 8 in a less than desirable neighborhood, with no stores or restaurants. But it was a room.... However, the next morning I was pleasantly surprised. It seems the less than desirable neighborhood was actually just a little weather beaten, as are a lot of beach front properties. This was my view as the sun made its appearance. I think I may actually mark this down in my list of Yes Locations. But next time I will bring my own food.


4 comments:

Jeffro said...

Super 8s and Days Inns can be a mixed lot. America's Best Value is usually an old chain motel that can't make the minimum standards of the previous chain. I get tired of Motel 6's minimalism. You'll have a hell of a time trying to find truck parking at any Holiday Inn Express.

I prefer Comfort Inns. Sometimes ya gotta take what there is....

RAM GPS tracker said...

Hi

I'm doing some work with RAM, who manufacture tracking systems for trucks, I was wondering if you'd be interested in hosting a guest post by them on your blog. The content they offer would be completly original, and they would contribute towards your time and costs of publishing the article.#


If you think you might be intrested please email me at Ewan.macdougal@searchlaboratory.com


Thanks


Ewan

Terry said...

So far Comfort Inns have been good to me.I find I prefer Quality Inn when I kind find one. I have been lucky that only a few rooms actually were unpleasant and only one where I looked for the hidden camera...hahahahahaha!!

J.M. said...

I kinda like Best Western, Holiday Inn, Travelodge or any of the nice hotels that have discount rate and cards provided by the company that any of us work for.