Aug 10, 2011

When all else fails... ABANDON SHIP

I have been meaning to sit down and post about the latest events and occurrences in my life. But to be honest, there is not much to report. I have been dealing with the same maintenance and repair issues that have been prominent in my work life for the past three years. In truth, there is just no need to keep beating a dead horse. I have tired of trying to work thru the weekly dilemmas. I have found myself to be completely frustrated on a daily basis. I have morphed into that grumpy old truck driver who bitches about everything. While not actually verbalizing it, my emotional state for the past 6 months has been nothing short of irate.

The previous 6 consecutive weeks, I have been in 4 trucks. Ask any driver, swapping trucks on a weekly basis is unacceptable. It is my home on the road. I should not have to clean a truck per week just to feel comfortable enough to sleep in it. FIX MY TRUCK !!! Air leaks, coolant leaks, dead batteries, alternator problems, AC malfunctions, regen malfunctions, front end problems... And the list goes on. Most of these repair requests have been submitted numerous times over the past 6 months. How is it that I can detect these problems, but the mechanics cannot?

I could write a small novel on all the complaints and resolutions that I have been through in the past few weeks. And I use "resolution" very loosely! For example, the shop had my truck the first week because the APU did not work. After it was repaired, the floor was flooded with condensation and misdirected drainage tubes. That same week, the air conditioner failed, leaving me in a sweltering and rancid piece of equipment. Two weeks to fix the minor issues and replace the mildewed flooring. During those 2 weeks, I spent several hours in truck stop repair shops to have MAJOR issues repaired on the spare trucks that I was driving. The following week, I manage to relocate back into my truck and it took me 7 hours to make a round trip of 56 miles, before moving into yet another spare truck in need of repairs. The next week, back in my truck, only to find dead batteries and an alternator problem. I think perhaps my favorite recent "repair" is when the mechanics deflated my steer tires by 15lbs to eliminate the front end issues that have been plaguing my truck since they rebuilt the front end last year. Wow, if the proper inflation was the culprit, seems like such a waste to have given me 2 different sets of steer tires because of irregular wear patterns. The Boss suggested that I permanently swap into another truck. That is when I suggested he try sleeping in random strangers beds in the low rent district.

I am not exactly sure which straw broke the camels back. But I am over it!! Emotionally drained, I have given up hope on ever finding the light at the end of the tunnel. The Volvos will not be replaced for another 6plus years and the mechanics have found a niche in which they are excused from being incompetent and allowed to neglect their obligations. I just don't get it..

Ten years, I have loved my job!! Ten years, I have worked through numerous issues without too much complaint. Ten years of service! Ten years of doing everything I needed to do to keep the customer happy without a second thought. Ten years....

It is time to move on !!

I have begun the process of getting hired with a new company in a completely different division of the transportation industry. My final interview is scheduled for Monday and then off to training. I am soooooo excited about the next phase of my trucking career. I think it is a perfect fit for me. And yes, after 13 years of driving a commercial vehicle, the new company will require training... Another special commodities adventure !!

After ten years...


-posted from my iPhone

11 comments:

Jeffro said...

You know how I felt about all your breakdowns and the managerial policies that allow it, so I'm glad you are gonna try to find something better. Niche stuff is generally better paying and has it's own rewardsm, especially if it's something that requires a new skill set for you to master.

And master it you will! I've got faith in ya, so good luck and have yerself a time, as the cowhaulers out here say!

Terry said...

Thank you soooooo much, Jeff. It was a very difficult decision for me to make. I would have never left this job, but the importance of my health and safety can no longer be ignored. Had a little incident that scared me and I knew it was time to go. I kind of resent the mechanics for forcing me to make this decision, but with that being said..... I AM SO EXCITED about my next adventure !!!!!!

John said...

I have a friend who going through almost the same thing you're facing; although his career is not in transportation but in educational teaching. After 11 years, he's moved to another school where he's appreciated and his profession is rewarded with positive feedback.
I'm sure your employer will think, "Well, there's goes another person out the door." and figures you'll come backing groveling and begging to be rehired. But you'll be in better hands at a new company with some friendly atmosphere and good work ethics. I kinda blamed your 'previous' company for letting things get outta hand and refusing to take responsibilty.
I wish you all the good luck and prayers that you'll find working for this new company. Take care of yourself and safe driving, Terry.
;-)

Todays Walk said...

Good for you Terry! Maybe someday, good work ethic will return to the work place. The job market is in such disarray, that the bosses think we're too stupid to leave a bad situation. They really think we'll tough it out! NOT! I wish you the very best at your new spot.

John said...

I know it had to be a difficult decision, mostly because that's what you said..."It was a difficult decision"...but I think you will be happier in your new environment. Good luck in the new adventure and please keep us informed. You deserve better than you've gotten.

John said...

By the way, now that you won't be hauling aluminum, what's this new company haul?

J.M. said...

Soooooo......how did the first day of work go?

Terry said...

I am happy to see some of you are still reading my blog!!!

Today's Walk... Thank you so much. No matter what happens I think this is the best thing for me right now!

John... It was very difficult. I had fallen into into such a comfortable little rut, that had I not been pushed I would have stayed indefinitely. I am very excited about the change. Thanks for the encouragement!!

New job will wait until I serve out a 2 weeks notice....

Marc said...

Terry --

Know that your new employer is getting a safe, conscientious, and experienced driver. The old employer, well ... their loss. Looking forward to your new adventures.

BTW, did Gabby get in touch with you re: my offer of a copy of my book? It's a Goodreads giveaway, but there's a copy with your name on it. Safe trip.

Marc Mayfield
marcatinthedriversseatdotnet

simstick said...

Volvo strikes again! I try to warn people about Mac/Volvo but no one listens.

Terry said...

Marc, how do I get a copy of this book? I have heard nothing about it??