Jan 8, 2011

Dirty Rotten Scoundrel

There has been a lot of "excitement" going on around the workplace lately. Not exactly the type of excitement you would hope for either.


It seems that one of our Tennessee driver's had recently hurt himself on the job and was living it up on workman's compensation. For reason's unknown to myself, the insurance company decided to investigate him and took pictures of him doing things that would have negated his "unable to perform job tasks" status. Naturally, he was terminated immediately. That is what happens when you get caught abusing the system. Supposedly, he took great offense to this and proceeded to write some expository letters to state and federal DOT offices. I am sure his intentions were to hurt the company who had fired him, a payback if you will.

So for Christmas, the Georgia division of this account received an official visit from the Department of Transportation and was audited extensively. So for the past week, everyone has been on edge. I made it through the preliminary audit with flying colors. In fact, there were only 2 drivers who made it through this stage with no evidence of violations, me and AA. But that doesn't mean we did not feel the anxiety of the situation.

The week passed, the audit complete and 3 of the Georgia drivers were terminated for various reasons. I feel really bad about what happened to them. One of the drivers had put in an entire lifetime hauling aluminum, 37 years. He was fired... Whatever happened to verbal warning, written notification, suspension and then termination....

While I am very grateful that I still have my job, I am very much disgruntled about how this all played out. This all started with one driver in Tennessee abusing the system and getting caught. Yet the Georgia office was put under scrutiny and people lost their jobs. Tennessee was untouched. It is not the audit or the scrutiny that angers me. It is the fact that the fat bastard in Tennessee got caught in a lie and and in a fit of anger, decided to wreak havoc upon the lives of 10 drivers who were in no direct relation to his situation. Thats right, his accusations of company misdeeds were placed on the shoulders of 10 drivers who worked across the state line... This is a guy who faked injury and illness for the elicit purpose of abusing prescription medication. This is a guy who faked injury and illness for the sake of receiving monetary compensation. This is a guy who wanted to sit on his fat ass and do nothing while everyone else supported him... I have absolutely NO TOLERANCE for his kind.




6 comments:

Todays Walk said...

Not sure what to say other then I hope those who lost their jobs are able to bounce back and find some joy out of this whole mess. Pretty sad deal!

Lynn said...

I know on Safersys, AAA had not been audited since 1998, so that may have something to do with it, but strange they only did Georgia. I hope those guys make out ok. With CSA 2010, I am not sure what the repercussions are.

Terry said...

Yes, Jeff.. the worst kind !!

The good news is that one driver was retiring in March, one was already looking for other local work and the third already has a new job.

Lynn, they only audited NEWNAN... So it was not really a AAA audit. They came in because of the little short bald driver from TN, I am sure you know who I mean.

John II said...

That IS strange that an investigation would be in GA, not TN, and 10 drivers were put under the microscope, not the person who commited insurance fraud. Sounds like BS to me. I'm wondering if your union reps challenged this type of "harassment" by the investigators; they should've went after the person who started it. That only shows us that the punk gets away with it while the hard working people are left paying for somebody's crime.

BillyBigRig said...

That sucks. Some folks just got no real sense of right or wrong. Keep your head up and walk a higher path kiddo. Still loving the blog.

Lynn said...

Yes, I know who you mean. He had a load mouth, and was always talking trash. Could not believe a word he said. I wonder if the three will get fines in the mail from DOT? Hope not.