Jul 17, 2012

This is Spinal Tap

The one moment I have been dreading ever since I got my new truck has finally arrived. (In reality, it arrived several weeks ago.) With every load, I gain a little more confidence, but being that my rack will hold 11 smaller cars, I was slightly intimidated with the prospects of actually loading 11. I remember the first 11 car load I saw coming out of Greensburg, Indiana, and to put it mildly... I was fascinated, yet completely intimidated. I have "practiced" with several 10 car loads, but when I say practice, I barely did more than place the cars on the ramps and strap the damn tires. The first few loads where I had to stack the head rack, someone else grabbed the valves and positioned the cars for me. Now, if you knew me, you would immediately understand that I was not pleased with having someone else touch my truck or position my decks. But, with a timing issue, I felt it was best to just keep my mouth shut and go with the flow. I can assure you, there may have been a chip on my shoulder while this was going on. But with it being "load supervisors", I managed to step back somewhat gracefully.

When I was told to go load 11 units, I had 2 reactions.  The first being, "oh crap!". The second reaction was the realization that I was finally going to get to put this puzzle together with no help. I headed over first thing in the morning to allow plenty of time for trial and error. Surprisingly, the load went on the truck with no hesitation. It was almost as if it fell into place by itself and with it, all anxiety of the 11 car load melted away.

This one goes to Eleven
(Spinal Tap)
As easily as the load fell into place, there were several unforeseeable issues that managed to arise that day.

After getting loaded, I was informed that one of my cars had been placed on hold and would absolutely have to be removed from the truck. Bet you can't guess which one?

I had no intention of unloading the entire truck just to remove the first car, and thankfully, I was able to find another driver who had not started loading yet. So, he dropped his trailer and was able to back up to me in order to the retrieve the car.  Another first for me, and you know how I love the first time for anything. Well, except the first damage claim...

After getting positioned, we raised the decks to get the car backed off of my tractor with scrubbing the chin spoiler.


We were able to get the car removed and back on the ground with relatively no trouble. I was able to get a replacement car to put back on the load, and other than having to unload a few extra at one of my dealerships, this was definitely a time saver.

Have I mentioned that I am definitely enjoying my career change. It just seems that everyone in this division of trucking is more willing to lend a hand to other fellow car-haulers. I have had people help me find cars, loan me tools, and give advice when I appear to get stuck trying to figure out the load.

I was extremely grateful for this particular favor, as it saved me hours of loading time. And while he seemed happy to lend a truck, he ended up finishing his day right there in front of my truck just after helping get the Acura loaded. He blew the main hydraulic line after building too much pressure on the system and dumped all his fluid. I felt horrible....

Normally, I am the one with "exceptional" luck. I guess I should have warned him before he ever agreed to help out?






8 comments:

Unknown said...

Way to go Terry and way to work smarter not harder to remove and replace the unit. Now for his blown line a long time ago I was informed that any time you had to use the tractor decks and not hooked up you should have a jumper line hooked in to the tractor. Which a former boss had made up and gave us and to this day its in my side box. Now who gets the credit for being a stand up person and helping you ?

Terry said...

I learned about running a loop on the hydraulics due to this load. That is something no one ever told me. I guess this guy didn't know either. I sincerely wish I had gotten his name, but he was in an old Flynn truck, said they were recently bought out by Pasha, so not sure which Flynn that is.... father or son, but had not changed door signs yet.

Jeffro said...

Awesome!

Anne said...

Hi Terry - I'm casting drivers for a new documentary television show and came across your blog. I'd love to talk to you about the show either to have you on it or to post the casting notice on your site.

Email me if you're interested!

Thanks,
Anne

rmcasting@redmarblemedia.net

J.M. said...

Glad you liking the new job.

Anonymous said...

good job, if your ever in a situation where you need to help another driver unload the head rack car don't be afraid to use your trailer deck 6 as i call it. save yourself from dropping the trailer. if thats easier for ya. whatever works best run with it. good luck and don't let the big stuff rattle ya

Banker said...

Great job Terry! I really enjoy watching you grow as a carhauler. You are so right how your fellow carhaulers are always willing to lend a hand. I suppose everyone remembers the fear and intimidation we felt the first time we loaded difficult loads and the old timers who bailed us out! Keep up the great work and I hope you keep on loving your job.

Terry said...

You know Banker, that elusive Brotherhood that so many are seeking in the generic freighthauling industry, well, I believe it is alive and well in the car industry. Sure, not everyone is top notch. But if you ever need something, there is usually someone there willing to lend a tool or a hand. I Love it and cant wait for the next great experience!!!