May 24, 2012

Long Overdue

2012 Peterbilt 365
So, I have had the new truck for a month and slowly but surely I am beginning to love it. There was the necessity to downsize my travel gear because I lost over 50% of my storage space, but I have eliminated everything that is not extreme necessity. Everything personal fits into 3 small bags which sits on top of my battery box. Yes... my batteries are located into a modified box which is located in the passenger floor. I can imagine this is going to be a major inconvenience if the need should ever arise to get to the batteries. The box is bolted shut, so there is no easy way to get into it. And because of the lack of storage, I need carry all of my maintenance and repair gear in the only tool box that is provided to me. That box is located on the rear of my trailer, underneath the last car. Another inconvenience should I ever need tools while I am loaded, because I would have to unload the last car just to get to the box. I am just crossing my fingers that I am not inconvenienced too often.

So, I have my storage figured out. And I am tickled pink that the new Pete actually feels like a truck. It sounds like a truck, and for the first time in a decade, I can sit comfortably while driving down the road. I no longer have many of the aches and pains I have been dealing with for the past decade and I attribute that to the fact the the fuel pedal is on the floor and a seat that sits low. You may think that something so insignificant could play a major role in one's comfort, but for the past 12 years, I have been driving trucks with pedals suspended from under the dash. Little pedals which I could barely keep my foot on, especially with the higher elevation of the Volvo seat. This caused me to sit in an awkward position with one hip scooted forward. It affected my knee, hip and sciatic nerve. I am sure a lot of this has to do with my lack of height. But height has never stopped me before, so I lived with it. Now, I don't have to!!

Stepping outside of the truck, I am now attached to a 7 car NextGen soft tie trailer. With the additional 4 that my tractor carries, I have the potential to haul 11 cars. The Sterling could only haul 9. And those 9 were in a very limited configuration. I now have 25 valves which move and adjust the decks. I have been told by everyone I know who hauls cars that eventually, this new to me trailer will feel like the best thing since sliced bread because it is a lot easier to arrange the cars. After a month, I am already beginning to feel that way.


1 comment:

Ali said...

A vehicle for long road uses..why? because my brother do uses this for hes works. And they Almost stay for a week on the road w/o worrying because they have carry all the tools they needed in one tool boxes..