Mar 12, 2012

Exhausted...

Anyone that has been following me any length of time surely knows of all the issues I had with the Volvo during my flatbedding days. The most consistent one was quite possibly the exhaust problems. My body reacts very quickly to breathing fumes as I was nearly killed from exhaust poisoning over a decade ago. One of the most common reactions that I face is... I become EXTREMELY hostile. Everything pisses me off. I might even kick a puppy after get an extended dose of toxic air.

The Sterling that I am operating tends to smoke excessively during the first few miles after firing it up or idling for any length of time. A couple of months ago, I had some extreme smoking issues that would actually fill the cab. Ironically, no one can find an exhaust leak. Sure, there is oil and other fluids that drip on occasion, but no sign of exhaust leaking.

So, on my last tour of duty, I noticed the fumes getting stronger. Perhaps even noticing the air seemed a little cloudy at times in the cab. George ( who is in charge of all my repairs) suggested that my dog house insulation might be sagging and the fumes are coming in around the boot. So, I had that checked out and had some rubber installed to seal that up. It didn't seem to help at all...

After several days of driving with the windows down,  and stuffing towels around any crevices on the dog house, I am starting to think I might need to swap trucks.... I hate swapping trucks. Besides, this one is special.


I don't know why I decided to crawl into the firewall and look around, but underneath the edge of the rubber flooring, I noticed a 2 inch hole that was halfway plugged with a sooty paper towel. Quick as MacGyver, I check my pockets for supplies and although I did not have a paperclip, chewing gum or duct tape, I did manage to find some masking tape.

My fume problem is gone!!!

Okay, the truck still smokes, but I am no longer sucking fumes which is good news for the general public. Because, when I say I get extremely hostile, well... you better just trust me on that one.

4 comments:

Que said...

Haha, the title makes sense now! You weren't tired really ... Good job finding the hole.

Sean m. - Stackerboyz.com said...

Funny, I'm just the opposite. I'm extremely hostile and very poor company every time I try to quit smoking......or breathing in noxious poisons in other words. LOL. Glad your OK and I'm sure the puppies of the world are too.

Terry said...

Thanks Que!! I try to be somewhat evasive with my titles, so sometimes they make absolutely no sense unless you understand the innuendo behind it :)

Dont even get me started on smoking Sean!! But yes, the trip home.... every vehicle on the road was given the evil eye if I even thought they were going to do something stupid, and I am a fairly tolerant person otherwise.

Jay said...

Ok,good thing you patch that up, otherwise people would've called you "A Little Exhausted" instead of Little Car Hauler.
XD -J.K.