Sep 13, 2010

A Little Vaseline, Please

Today just happens to be one of those days where I unknowingly will be able to test out my driving skillz.


My second drop of the morning was in Washington, North Carolina. This customer has a bad habit of filling the parking lot with lots of random pallets of stuff, making it difficult to turn around. The more they scatter, the harder I work. This is the normal routine. But today, they caught me off guard. There would be NO turning around inside the gate today.


Parked right in the middle was this lovely dumpster.

So, I had to back out of the gate

And back out of the parking lot. Could not make the swing to the right because of the grade and angle of the street. I did not want to rip my exhaust pipes off the truck.


I had to continue backing until I reached the county road about a quarter of a mile behind me. And then a nice blindside back into traffic to get front and center once again. But these are the simple challenges that I love, and not so challenging with barely anyone to blow their horns at me. Makes me miss New York City !!

But this was not so difficult. After I made a few more deliveries, I ended up in Richmond, Virginia. Getting into the customer is a tad bit challenging dodging the cars, chain link fences and telephone poles, but getting out is even better. There is only one way out, and holding ones breath to squeeze through is a requirement !!

First, I have to place my fender against the fence, because I am turning into this alleyway

SQUEEZE !!!



With literally only a couple of inches to spare, I squeeze through and make a hasty exit back into the streets of Richmond. Dodging more telephone poles just to get back to a nice 4 lane. Who designed this city, anyways ??

I am currently sitting in Ruther Glen, Virginia because I know better than to attempt to make good time riding around the streets of DC in afternoon rush hour. Been there, done that ! After another 3 deliveries tomorrow, I will be heading home. And rumor has it that a handsome bedbugger will be in the area !!

6 comments:

John II said...

Pretty good driving. Ever thought of entering those contest at truck shows where you put your driving skills to the test? You might win.

Amperebear said...

Good job Terry. No trainer can teach stuff like that for this is just the knowledge of an experienced driver.

Todays Walk said...

Having lived in Richmond for 3 years; they aren't set up for trucks especially around the Fan area and DT. Those streets are so old, small cars only (horse & buggy) allowed. lol. The deliveries to Hostess between Cary & Main (off Cary) is tricky too. Most of the time their drivers end up parking the trucks because of the time limit (green light 20 feet away) and only enough room for a pack of cig on either side. Congrats on passing the Richmond Test!

Lynn said...

I remember both of those places. The one in Richmond used to have tree growing out of the side of the building in that narrow alley. The one in Washington, NC had there gate locked one night. Had to back out in the dark to the main road.

Anonymous said...

Terry, I'm one of them "handsome bedbuggers" you've probably seen around out here... yep, just sitting here all by my lonesome in this big ol' sleeper and surfing around on my laptop with nothing better to do... well, good to know you cared hahaha (just kiddin').


Hey, I enjoy your blog, you have a way with words.

Well anyway, take care and keep'er 'tween the lines out there, Little Trucker.

doomytunes said...

Reminds me of when I do the small feed stores or firework stands.