Apr 9, 2009

What's In A Name

I know I said I was not going to do it.  I was not going to name the new/used truck.  I was not going to get attached to him at all. But in my defense, well I am a female and we do tend to name our inanimate objects, even though I said NOT THIS TIME.. But seriously, the truck was begging for a name, and was deemed appropriately enough through no fault of my own. In fact, the reason this truck has a name, is entirely the fault of some mechanic who could not pay attention to simple instructions.


When my truck was to be serviced, I mentioned that there was an annoying sound coming from outside of my truck. I pinpointed the location to be at the end of the fender, under the driver's door. There was a clip that was stripped out,  enabling the fender to flop around just enough to give off an extremely irritating vibration once the wind got underneath it.  I shared this information with the mechanic, but did not take him by the hand and show him. I trusted that  saying "at the end of the fender, under the driver's door" would be adequate enough. Obviously, it was not. Not even with the included adjectives of loose, stripped, flopping,  or slack...Nope,  none of it registered. Because the repairs made were not anywhere near the door..Well, not the driver's door. Tool Box door perhaps, but that was not what I had said.

This is a picture of one of three repairs made to my truck. You will notice several rivets. These rivets are holding a piece of fiber glass to the under side of this crack. This split is a direct result of the previous driver shoving the fuel nozzle too hard to get it into the tank, because the tank is turned almost completely upright. A major inconvenience to fuel, but this was not the source of my annoyance.

Here is another repair. This time the fiber glass is placed on the exposed side of the truck, over another crack..Once again a direct result of pushing too hard on the skirt to get the fuel nozzle in the tank, but also once again....not the end of the fender, under the driver's door, either.



This is perhaps, the best repair in the series!  

Six rivets holding an 8 inch strip of fiber glass over a factory seam at the back of the cab.A FACTORY SEAM.....one that did not rattle, vibrate or have any additional flopping sounds coming from it.  Definitely not the cause of my conundrum...I am just absolutely stupefied as to why they could not figure out just where exactly the " End of the Fender, Under the Driver's Door"  is.


Thankfully, the night shift mechanic was willing to assist me. He mig welded the clip back into place and tightened everything back down into a snug position, therefore eliminating the risk of the complete loss of my sanity, for at least a little while longer. And, with no extra parts left exposed like little scars. No rivets, no nothing...Just a repair made, as I had requested.


Oh yeah, my new trucks name?  N0w that he is a scarred beast, I think he is best suited to carry the moniker of.......

Frankentruck








....and I am it's Mistress.  The Bride of Frankentruck!!

6 comments:

Keith said...

Frankentruck...LOL

Frankly I think drivin in Floriduh is very boring also. Same ole scenery (or lack of)..way to flat and straight.

Have fun in the Big Apple.
I love that place.Don't forget to post some food cart videos...maybe some hot pepper pics or something.
That Youtube made me want to sit on an ice cream cone. Dam your a lil badazz when it comes to slammin peppers.

The Wondering Brit said...

I think the name lacks character - I can also think of various reasons why not to call it that - though, I have thought or one for you:
Marmaduke

Unknown said...

LOL at Frankentruck!

You know I name my bicycles, will occasionally name a 4-wheeler (my beloved ford Ranger was Baby Truck), but the only big truck I've named has been the hated Freightliner Century S/T. The S/T IMO stood for sh**ty truck. The only good thing about breaking my clavicle last year was getting out of that piece of junk.

Gabby

Indy said...

I am gonna send you the bill for hospital/medical expenses, Terry!

Fancy making a bloke gasp for breath like this! Dayum!

I heard this yarn, but when you wrote it up here it is just so hilarious!

You are truly a gifted writer!

Can some of you people convince her to take up writing professionally - even as a sideline business. This precious gift should have the widest audience possible!

Terry said...

Keith, too bad you have to make that drive often, but you do have the benefit of being close to the ocean.....LOL, at the thoughts of sitting on an ice cream cone...Too funny, but peppers do not bother me. Not even in the END OUTCOME.

Oh TWB..I have disappointed you. I am curious as to why you think it is not appropriate to call it that. Perhaps you think I am just inviting more trouble. I do like Marmaduke.....but the beast is still in surgery..hopefully, he will be a placated monster when he returns.

Oh Gabby...I would give anything at this point to have my ol POS freightliner back. It never needed shop attention. It was truly old reliable.

Gary said...

that's a great name! sounds like our whole fleet...