Jan 10, 2008

A Sign Of The Times ???

I just hope that this first week back is not a sign of things to come.

I made my journey Sunday with no major dilemmas. Or so I thought, until I checked my freight. It seems several bundles of metal were working themselves loose from the rest of the load.. I had to open up the trailer and add more straps. When I opened up the trailer, I noticed what a shoddy job that was done when loading it. There were major holes and gaps which always causes me to be more paranoid about something sliding off of the trailer. If you look at my header, you will see that the trailer is indeed enclosed, but a tarp fastened to an aluminum frame still would not hold if several tons of metal decided to come crashing through it. Therefore, I had to add several stops to my day to recheck the load...

When I finally made it to Pennsylvania, roughly 2 hours past the last "good" truck stop, I noticed that my mini-fridge was struggling to keep itself running. I had decided to get back on my diet with renewed determination and had just spent a small bundle loading up on fruits and veggies for my trip. Also in the cooler is a half gallon of milk, several servings of cheese, dip for my veggies, salad items, and deli sliced roast beef. Needless to say, I wasted a bunch of money because after beating the little refrigerator within an inch of it's life, it decided to give up the ghost... A week's worth of groceries spoiled in just 12 hours...and this after being "laid off" for the past few weeks. Grrrrr......

Monday was not any better.... My first delivery was at a location that does not receive deliveries on MONDAY... The Aluminum Co has been aware of this for at least a year, but still, it is always loaded as a Monday delivery.. After sitting in their parking lot most of the morning, they finally agree to unload my ONE BUNDLE....

Next I had to endure several bouts of congestion as it seems that several truckers decided to roll over their big rigs ....

I also had a Brooklyn delivery, which is never time efficient... So, add that to the "No Monday Deliveries" and you can pretty well figure out that my entire Monday was shot to hell..

No comments: