Jun 13, 2009

Double Your Pleasure

Here are a few facts that most of my loyal readers should be aware of.


I love New York!!

I love Men In Uniforms (Police, Firefighters, Servicemen)

Okay, that was fairly simple and since those are the only two facts that really pertain to this story, those are all I will be supplying.

Oh, another fact, you may not know. When at work, because I make multiple deliveries, I try to be the most efficient for everyone involved, primarily myself. You see, I get paid the same amount if I deliver the load in 2 days or 4. Therefore, I do not like delays, and am constantly rerouting myself to shorten my work day.

Last week, I had finished up with my Long Island drops and had one customer to deliver to in the Bronx. After that, I had to head back into New Jersey to catch my first scheduled delivery of the day. Why did I not deliver it first, you may ask. That is simple. The material was buried under stop number 4 AND the first customer hand unloads. Therefore, I had no choice but to work out a new strategy. After that, I would be heading up to Massachusetts. Yes, I am aware that I was back tracking, but if you can get the loaders to do any better, I will be eternally grateful.

SO.....heading into the Bronx, I made my turn into the neighborhood and was dismayed to see the road closed ahead. I hate getting off my beaten path, as there are plenty of one way streets, and although I am not above using them inappropriately under extreme circumstances, I prefer to go with the flow of traffic at all times if possible. The reason for the closure was obvious. There were 2 firetrucks sitting in the road with hoses discharging at full capacity. I made my way a few blocks south, ended up going the wrong way down a one-way and worked my way back towards the customer. The opposing street was also closed. More fire trucks. After a few more turns and illegal maneuvers, I got to the third section of the block closest to my customer, only to be halted again. This time it was as plain as the nose on my face that this delivery was going to be delayed. Three more fire trucks were parked and functioning. Only this time, they were parked in my unloading zone. Thankfully it was not my customer who was smoldering, but the empty warehouse across the street.

With my options running low, I set the brakes. Yes, I was parked in the road, but in New York, these things are often overlooked. I began the trek towards the customer, hoping to see a familiar face and get an opinion of the situation. I noticed a fireman standing close by and I sashayed up to him with a gleam in my eye.

"Excuse me, Man In Uniform, ( purr) could you tell me how long this might take, as I need to make a delivery right there?"

The Fireman looked at me, looked at the smoldering building, checked his watch, and grinned from ear to ear as he replied, " Well, now Little Lady, this might take awhile."

We spent the next few minutes chatting away. We worked out a signal, and off he went to save the day. After several minutes, he waved his hat at me signalling that they were about to wrap it up and as soon as the ladder truck was loaded, they would be out of my way.

I am such a dork. Who else do you know that would saunter up to a fireman whilst on duty (even though the flames were already extinguished) and proceed to charm the reflective strips off his gear. Leave it to me. I do not do this intentionally. I am just a friendly person. And ohhhh, how I loves me a man in uniform.

11 comments:

Indy said...

Dayum!!!!!!!! Now where did I put that old uniform of mine .............

Hahahahaha

Keith said...

I can send you an FD t shirt if you email me your employers address :)

Love Bears All Things said...

Sounds like the unfortunate fire made your day.
Mama Bear

Gary said...

i have an old baseball uniform from my coaching days. wonder if that might work...

The Wondering Brit said...

Thank goodness I no longer own a uniform :P
LOL

John II said...

Hmmm....I wonder if it's not too late to join the L.A.F.D. or the N.Y.F.D. or any fire department for that matter. Wait a minute, does wearing orange vests count?

dgfiskemt said...

Lol. I wonder what he found hotter: the fire or....

Take care, Lil Trucker!

Terry said...

Indy, which one?? The superman get up?

Keith, oh really?? That would be awesome!!

Mama Bear, Thankfully for all those involved, it was an empty warehouse!

Gary, a coaching uniform? uhhhh NO!!

TWB, hmmmm, just what kind of uniform did you wear? *bats eyelashes*

John II, as long as the vests do not have matching pants with strips on them, you are good!!

HilmarKid, I will say that I believe the firefighter enjoyed the distraction as much as I did. We were both grinning like Cheshire Cats!!

The Wondering Brit said...

LOL, well in that case - you got mail... go look

John II said...

No matching pants with strips; just a MOW orange vest with reflective silver stripes (so you can see me better).

Terry said...

TWB.....Nice....and Thank you!!