Feb 24, 2007

Sunday Bloody Sunday

No , not really!!


After all the fussing, I had been doing I made up my mind to just let it be. It was taking up way to much energy and I thrive on being a very silly girl!! Hard to do if your attitude sucks.


Sunday was a typical day to start with. Head out on the road to begin my weekly adventure... Last weeks weather predicaments had mostly melted away and it was smooth sailing...


I made a Birthday call to my Bubba, did my weekly therapy phone session with another and remained in high spirits.. I could supplement my income if only I charged per hour...


For the first 650 miles, roads were dry and traffic was really moving very well. Then at 651 miles, things started to change... I knew flurries were in the forecast, so I was not surprised... As I headed into Northern Virginia on I-81, the snow began to fall... Here is where the story gets interesting, I suppose...


I was in the left lane, making a pass and was alerted to an ambulance closing in behind me. Naturally I make the move to the right lane to let him pass, but traffic has slowed quite a bit... I squeeze in behind a Toyota 4Runner and slow to 35 mph... The little Toyota seemed a bit nervous , so as soon as the emergency vehicles had passed I glided back into the left lane....Traffic is still slow, I am probably up to 40mph at this point... When all of the sudden.... WTF!!! The driver of the Toyota comes to an abrupt halt.. I swear he appeared to come to a complete stop just before darting into the left lane, 30 feet in front of me... Not sliding on ice, just swerving!! But then it happens. Just as he finds the left lane, he loses traction... I did not panic, I did not overreact. I gently apply the brakes and ease towards the center median being careful to not slip off into the 2ft snow bank. He over corrects and slips back to the right... So far so good, until he over corrects AGAIN and heads back towards me.... YIKES. This time, I do ease into the snow bank and am off for a hell of a ride... I might mention here that after applying my brakes a second time, I began to slide as well, thus opting for the snowbank to try and avoid a collision !!


It all happened so fast. I don't remember every detail, but I do remember this..... Just as I was exiting the asphalt, we made contact!! Oh SHIT!! (I really should edit, but it was that quite an ordeal.. First time in all my Truckin years that I smacked a car!!) I completely lost site of him at this point!! I was holding on for the ride and then I saw something that scared the *#@& out of me!! I looked in my mirror and saw my trailer, heavily laden with metal, start to come around me on my left at a very (uuuuhhhhhhh) awkward angle. Very focused at this point, I steered back towards the asphalt and broke thru the snow bank yet again.... I came to a stop with the little Toyota just a few feet in front of me...I don't know how he managed that, but I am sure I gave him a good shove upon the initial contact.


I must mention this again.. I never panicked!!!


Once at rest, I must admit that my emotions were leaning a bit more towards anger than anything else. I tend to believe that people who live in wintry climates would know how to drive in such conditions....NOT SO!! I jump out of the truck to check on the automobile driver and as I was nearing the vehicle I saw a tiny little head pop up in one of the windows... Then I freaked!! I darted the last few remaining feet and commenced to try and open the door.. The driver had the window down a few inches and I begin to plead with him to tell me how many children were in the vehicle.... ONE. and yes he was fine!!! THANK GOD!!!! My anger vanished when I saw the child.


All is well that ends well. There was a Virginia State Trooper present that had witnessed the whole scene and he commended me on my fine reaction skills.


The tow truck and wreckers drivers were looking for the truck driver, something I always find amusing...."Here I am"


The little boy was more excited than anything else and no tears were shed!!


The fault was placed on the automobile driver!! Lucky for me, but it is typically a given that the Big Truck WILL be blamed!!


The only ones who seemed to have attitude were the Drivers Parents who came to pick them up! I am sure they thought I was at fault, but I felt no need to try and persuade them otherwise.
I did ask the Toyota driver what happened and he responded...." I thought I saw ice and panicked!!" Yeah Buddy!! I always slam on my brakes when I see ice, makes for an adventure!!
So there you have it. Sundays progress was terminated immediately due to the lack of a headlight and darkness rapidly approaching. I managed to find a local motel and camp out for the evening....... But the Saga continues...... (meanwhile, after the initial reactions abated, I maintained my carefree "roll with the punches" attitude).



9 comments:

LID said...

Wow, sorry for your "adventure"! I always admire you "guys"... all those miles dealing with idiot drivers and very few incidents, due to YOUR experience and ability... definitely not "ours"!Hats off to Little Truckin' Lady!

Mike said...

Way to go Terry. One Toyota down. 64.3578 million to go.

Just kidding. Glad everything ended up OK.

Ginger said...

Gosh Terry that was scairy reading! I am glad everyone was alright. Maybe your post will educate some drivers out there.

Oh and Tag you are it!

Terry said...

Thanks LID...I really do appreciate the sentiments...

Mike, I feel absolutely the same way.. Now that my Truck has battle scars, I say "Bring Em ON!!" I am ready to teach a few more lessons!! LOL

Ginger, I just thought I should probably mention that this post is classified "Top Secret" (you know what I mean!!)

Mike said...

I'm gonna tell!

Terry said...

Yeah you would wouldnt you..

Hey Mike, Can I get you a fresh supply of GS Cookies, huh Bud???

We can just keep this between friends, right?? 4- 5 boxes should do it!!

Angel said...

Holy crap, girl!! I'm proud of you and your calm demeanor and excellent reactions! I'm glad no one was injured but sorry you had to go through all of that.

Mike said...

My Silence is EXPENSIVE.

A half case and we can talk. Or not. Whatever you need.

Terry said...

Okay Okay!! One case and we can just forget about it!!! Thanks Mike!!