Sep 18, 2009

Kill The Wabbit

There is nothing like the feeling of knowing my trailer is empty and I am heading home.


That is, of course, unless, there are torrential downpours, flash flooding, and magnificent ground strike lightning only feet from your truck. That is what happened this week.

I was heading south through Qwinnett County when the lightning started to hit. The skies were a foreboding shade of grey and the strikes were smacking the ground as close as a hundred yards from me. You have never heard a little girl shriek so loudly. I was amazed to learn that the air turns a nice shade of lavender when the energy is that close. Just before making the 285 split, one more bolt shot through the sky and nailed the Quik Trip Fuel Stop sign. A huge ball of sparks and a nasty cloud of brown smoke erupted. YIKES!!!!! It was soooo close. Hurry up people, get me out of here!!

That was not going to happen any time soon, however, as much of 285 was under water. Several ramps were closed due to extreme amounts of water and Dekalb County was doing their best to slow traffic as to eliminate any hydroplaning. It took an additional hour to arrive safe and secure back at the yard. Thankfully, the ground was dry and I had no issues unloading my belongings. A few weeks ago, I had to sit for over an hour to wait for the storms to subside, and even as I felt the rains has slacked off enough to head home, I still got soaked in mere minutes trying to load the car.

Ahhhh, there is nothing like qualifying for the Watermelon 500 in the middle of a beligerent thunderstorm. Amazingly enough, there were NO ACCIDENTS !!



In case you were wondering, the above title is in reference to the Opera performed by Elmer Fudd when he commanded the weather !! Norf winds bwoah!!! Souff winds bwoah, stwike up the wightning!! Sorry, I am still a kid at heart.... Oh no! What have I done...I killed the wabbit!!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

LOL on the Elmer Fudd reference. I HEAR you on the rain and storms but yikes, I wasn't that close to the lightning.......

John II said...

Let's go swimming!!!!!

Indy said...

Still reading through this but I have to pick you up on something, Little one ....

You said "I was heading south through Qwinnett County when the lightning started to hit. The skies were a foreboding shade of grey and the strikes were smacking the ground as close as a hundred yards from me. You have never heard a little girl shriek so loudly."

Oh! I reckon I have heard her squeal equally loudly (okay, okay ... metaphorically speaking). I seem to remember her last birthday and driving through the main drag in NYC she was ummmmm well ..... going ..... ummmmmmmmmmmmmm ..... yanno .................

John II said...

That's right! You absolutely correct on that, Indy. She DID squeal equally loudly when she drove through the main throughfare of New York City. What a birthday for her, huh? And the best present she got: A traffic citation from NYPD's finest for operating an overlenght vehicle through the "Big Apple". (And she squealed excitely again when she got that ticket, too.)

Terry said...

Gabby, and the storms continue, I suppose you have heard of the recent flooding in Georgia. At this rate we will go directly into winter with no more warm sunny days!!

Indy and John, okay, maybe I should clarify. The squeals in this instance were more panic striken shrieks. The squeals in NYC were of a childlike delight, but YES, I am sure they were equally loud!!

John II said...

Terry,
I was joking. (And I'm sure Indy was, too.)
Then again, you did teased him on the video while he was explaining to viewers on what was the hardest thing about being a truck driver.